Rivendell on first outting

Rivendell on first outting

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Looking toward the light ahead

I feel a bit like Bilbo Baggins at the start of his adventure: I'm very excited, and a little terrified as I am unsure what the future holds. For 4-5 years, my dream has been to live in my RV full time and follow the lead of Judy Bell and Marilyn Kircus and many others volunteering in natural settings.  As I type, I look out the window to this huge RV. Some days this image gives me comfort and leaves me smiling. Other days, its just darn intimidating.

I am still working as a high school Biology teacher, but will retire at the end of the school year. As always, when that is exactly is dependent upon the weather. Four years ago, I envisioned the house ready to go on the market and possessions not needed for the next stage of life donated, sold, or given away by this point. But life intervenes, and this will not go the way I thought. I am not going to get all of that done while trying to continue a 70 hour a week job and still spend time with my aging mother. But that is ok, too. Easing into a major life change may be better for me and my crew than jumping in all at once.

I have zero RV experience. I bought Rivendell last fall, and have taken it out twice. I have been inspired by many RV blogs for about 5 years, but have not formally "followed" because I have not had a blog... well not one that anyone would be interested in. But I think it is time. 

6 comments:

  1. Welcome! I hope it doesn't take too long, or isn't too hard to get the house on the market and sold. Life on the road has it's own challenges, but it is always interesting. Reading blogs is a good way to learn. Remember there is someone behind each and we are all ready to answer questions and support you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Merikay! I watched from afar as you went through this. I know I will get there, but it sure is a big hill to climb!

      Delete
  2. You have a lot of people to cheer you on in the RV blogging world, so it is nice that you are opening up your process. I have watched many people go through this, who are now successfully RVing full time, including Merikay who first commented. Many others. OF course there is a lot to learn, but you have many mentors, so hang in there and give yourself time and space. If you have followed Merikay any length of time, you know how many ups and downs they experienced and just look at how wonderful things are for them now. Keep your chin up. I remember that last year of working was incredibly tough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogger-ville. If you hadn't of commented, I wouldn't know you are out there. I'd like to follow your blog, but don't see any way to do that on your side bar. Could you add the 'follow' widget and let me know?

    Being a biology teacher should be helpful if you're looking for volunteer positions. If you have any questions about how to break into volunteering, just let me know. There are some differences between volunteering solo and volunteering as a couple in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the RV community. Here's wishing you a fast and painless transition to the mobile life style.

    ReplyDelete